atom feed4 messages in org.apache.felix.devRe: Commons Collections bundle not im...
FromSent OnAttachments
Niall PembertonMar 19, 2008 9:24 am
Stuart McCullochMar 19, 2008 9:46 am
Carsten ZiegelerMar 19, 2008 9:53 am
Niall PembertonMar 19, 2008 10:09 am
Subject:Re: Commons Collections bundle not importing
From:Carsten Ziegeler (czie@apache.org)
Date:Mar 19, 2008 9:53:52 am
List:org.apache.felix.dev

Stuart McCulloch wrote:

On 19/03/2008, Niall Pemberton <nial@gmail.com> wrote:

I was looking at your commons collections bundle here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/commons/commons-collections/pom.xml

...and wondering why theres an instruction to NOT import org.apache.commons.colllections.*?

This seems to go against the general advice given here:

"Bnd automatically imports all exports to allow substitutability. If you do not do this, you create all kinds of standalone class spaces and things will not work together. It is generally bad practice to only export a package."

http://felix.markmail.org/message/qp33zosdp43e2vnv

I'm asking this because theres likely to be an OSGi enabled release of Collections from Commons soon (3.3) and I'm wondering if theres a good reason in this case and whether we should mirror that in commons?

I can't see any reason to exclude those imports myself, and they seem to have been there from the beginning (so they haven't been removed in response to a defect)

Carsten, can you confirm this is not actually needed?

No, unfortunately not :) The original version is not from me, but I can't see a reason either; it must be a mistake.